Winter is traditionally a time when gardeners begin perusing seed catalogs, dreaming about and planning for next year's garden. Most seed companies will mail their catalogs to you for free and signing up to receive them is easy enough from their web sites. Have you ordered your seed catalogs for 2021?
Our family prefers to use seeds that are heirloom, organic or non-GMO, as these present fewer potential health and environmental risks. As I've been learning more about seeds, I've realized that most of the larger heirloom seed companies actually serve as cooperatives or networks involving family farms from many regions that grow and save seeds for them.
Some of our favorite seed companies include:
- Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (rareseeds.com)
- Seed Savers Exchange (seedsavers.org)
- West Coast Seeds (westcoastseeds.com)
- Deep Harvest Farm (deepharvestfarm.com)
- MIgardener (migardener.com)
- Annie's Heirloom Seeds (anniesheirloomseeds.com)
- Maine Potato Lady (mainepotatolady.com)